I am new to this whole """adult""" thing, in fact you can often find me trying to convince my parents that I am in fact not an adult, even if legally recognised as so in the eyes of the law. Like I can be sent to adult prison, I wouldn't even survive juvenile prison let along ADULT prison!! That however is not the point of this post, in the not even a year that I've been an actual adult I've learnt some things that I want new adults to know about, I'm sharing what little wisdom I do have with you all. Even if you aren't a 'new' adult you might me able to learn a thing or two from my little list I have created.
- I'm putting this first because I found out the hard way how important this one is just the other week. Never, ever lie to your doctor. If you aren't feeling better, don't tell them you are. If you have questions, ask them. If they ask you questions, answer them honestly. They are your doctor and they want to help you, not to judge you.
- I don't really know how to explain this one because you can either be doing the completely wrong thing or it can just be a random breath test or something similar, but. Know how to keep your cool when you are pulled over by a cop. If you've done something wrong you're probably going to get done with something, but accept that you did wrong and for that you will be punished. If you've done nothing wrong, know that you are fine and these police are just doing their jobs of keeping the roads and its users safe.
- I don't know how I came up with this rule, probably one off the many times someone has brought their camera out at the pub. Don't pose with your drink in your hand. It doesn't make you look 'cool', believe me.
- Saving is so important for independence and all that good stuff, a good lesson I've learnt lately is that generic brand is almost always as good as name brand. Also don't be ashamed of buying generic brand!!! I used to hate buying generic brand thinking that it made me look cheap, but own it girlfriend!
- If you are going to call someone, make calls after 9am and after 9pm.
- To tie in with the above, stop drunk dialling/ snapchatting/ instagram stalking/ tweeting/ facebook messaging your ex. You don't need them, you don't want them and all of the above mentioned are a waste of your time. Time that can be spent on you.
- Also a very important point in this list, you are never too old to need your parents. Believe that when they offer to help they WANT to help, accept it.
- Don't let your bills go unpaid!! Late fees are the actual devil when it comes to paying bills. Make paying your bills a priority as it can result in bad credit rating and all those jazzy thing. If you can't pay your bill don't be afraid to ring the company and ask for an extension, let them know what you can pay and when you can pay the rest.
If you have some more adult-y tips for all the new adults out there be sure to leave them below.
Thats all for now, stay lovely x